Things To Do
- cool japan
Sensu, The First COOL JAPAN
It is tough to walk around and enjoy Kyoto under the bright hot sun.
Why don’t you fan yourself and cool down with Sensu (a Japanese folding fan)?
Let’s learn the interesting history of Sensu, and
get your own from our recommended Sensu shops in Kyoto.
Sensu has been used as a hand-held fan and as a tool in performing arts, as well as an accessary going along with Kimono or Yukata.
Sensu takes a big part in Japanese culture.
Did you know that Sensu or a folding fan was made in Japan?
It is a long history, started about 1,200 years ago.
Back then, people used mokkan (a narrow, long and thin piece of wood that was used to write letters on) instead of paper.
They strung a pile of mokkan and made Hiougi. It was the same shape as a folding fan.
The First COOL JAPAN
In Kamakura era, about 800 years ago, Sensu went across the ocean and spread in China and in European countries. Especially, Sensu was very popular among the nobility.
It is COOL JAPAN!
Hundreds of years ago, Japanese crafts were changed and blended in other cultures.
By the way, where can we buy those COOL JAPAN Sensu in Kyoto?
- Web： http://www.sensu-yamani.jp/index.html
- Hour： 9am to 5pm (On Saturdays: 9am to 4pm )
- Closed： Sundays, Holidays, The 2nd and 3rd Saturdays of the month
- (From Sep to Nov: Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays )
Kyoto (The head store)
- Hour： 10am to 6pm（May to Aug : 10am to 7pm）
- Closed：Wednesdays（May to Aug : Open everyday）
- Access： 10 mins walk from Hankyu line Kawara-machi station, 7 mins walk from Subway Tozai line Kyotoshiyakusho-mae station
Kanpu Store Sanjo-Teramachi
- Hour：11am to 6pm (May to Aug : 11am to 7pm）
- Closed：Open everyday（except the end and the begin of the year）
- Access：7 mins walk from Subway Keihan line Sanjo Station, 5 mins walk from Subway Tozai lIne Kyotoshiyakusho-mae
Ryosen Yasakano-Tou Store
- Hour：10am to 6pm (May to Aug：10am to 7pm）
- Closed：Open everyday
- Access：5 mins walk from Bus stop Kiyomizu-do
- Tel : 075 – 221 – 0181
- Fax : 075 – 221 – 0439
- Hour : 9am to 6pm (During Summer: 9am to 7pm)
- Closed : Open everyday (Special holiday during the New Years season)
- Access：7 mins walk from Subway Karasuma/ Tozai line Karasuma Oike station, 10 mins walk from Subway and Hankyu-Kyoto line Karasuma station
Get your own Sensu and enjoy COOL JAPAN!
With Sensu, it feels great to explore Kyoto in Yukata!
Tags: cool japan, Culture, Fan, Summer, Yukata